Saturday, September 17, 2011

Wellington Sundial Trail 2010

New Zealand1 & 2 according to CNN3 is now the second best tourist destination in the world, with Wellington (New Zealand's capital city), a 'great kind of springboard' to the rest of the country. Wellington is also (according to Lonely Planet4) one of the coolest little capitals in the world.

So, armed with that background, and a chance to participate in Sundials on the Internet5 and the British Sundial Society6 Sundial Trail competition, my friend Robyn Pearce, and I, Rosaleen Robertson, created The Wellington Sundials Trail.

A word for those who have never given sundials a second thought before now, whatever your interests: scientific, aesthetic, historical, keeping fit or discovery, our promise is that you will not be disappointed. You just need to give it a go.

A note of caution however, the pursuit of sundials has been known to be quite infectious and you too could find yourself a committed sundialophile7 like me. And with this in mind I've provided some tips (Appendix A, B and C are in a separate pdf file here), Appendix B provides details of the numbered references shown in superscript.

Click here to access the Wellington Sundail Trail http://www.sundials.co.uk/~wellington.htm




1 comment:

Michael Ossipoff said...

Hi--

I'm Michael Ossipoff, in Flordia, USA. I registered with this website sundial organization because I've always liked Sundials, and New Zealand.

Though I don't live in NZ, I'd _prefer to_, if that counts for anything. NZ would be my country of choice, and that's my qulification for joining a NZ organization.

Sundials and sun-compasses are a particular interest of mine. I once made some tablet sundials--typewriter paper on corrugated cardboard, built-in compass, thread for gnomon. I made them for various family-members. I made about 10 of them. They were accurate within 5 minutes. My first and best was nearly always accurate within 3 minutes.

Several armillaries decorate our house. I intend to build a stationary sundial for our front-yard. It must be easily readable to neighbors and passersby, as well as to us.

For that, I'm considering a horizontal sundial, or maybe a polar/equatorial box sundial.

It would be based on a box inclined upward at its north end, so that 4 of its sides are parallel to the Earth's axis, and two of its sides are parallel to the equator. It would have gnomons on all 6 sides.

That would maximize readability for everyone, but would be more work than a horizontal sundial.

I will build a varity of sundials, portable and stationary.
...and a variety of sun-compsses.

Eventually, I want to work stone, ceramic, terra-cottaa, & concrete, for stationary sundials.

Michael Ossipoff